racing in NI
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Z00SH
Speed Merchant

843 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  12:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the score with Irish cycling (Ulster), can I race across there with a BC Silver license in open events etc?

Scott

doc
Speed Merchant

683 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  14:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd check with BC. Given it's effectively part of Cycling Ireland I think you will need a BC race licence and 'permission' to race in another Federation. Otherwise you could just enter on the day and take out an Irish day licence.
Go to Top of Page

FrenchDave
Crusing Past

358 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  16:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you can. But it's best to let the organiser know you're coming and confirm he/she is happy that you're covered by their insurance.

I went over for a cross race and emailed the organiser quoting this page:
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/memst-liability-insurance-race

At the bottom of the list on that page it says "UCI affilated National Governing Bodies". That's the bit that says you covered.
Go to Top of Page

doc
Speed Merchant

683 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  16:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd still check with BC so give them a ring and tell them your plans. They may issue you with notification to present to the event organiser and Commissaires on the day.
Go to Top of Page

doc
Speed Merchant

683 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  16:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a quck look. If it is an event run by the NICF then you should be covered. However, there may not be that many of them as most of the NICF merged with CI a few years back so check this out beforehand. Although NI is part of the UK, most events are run via Cycling Ireland of which Cycling Ulster is an affiliate organisation - a bit like SC and BC. Check out the link below. You could effectively be competing within the durisdiction of another UCI affiliated Federation.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/bc-Racing-and-Riding-Abroad---Top-Tips-Before-You-Travel-0
Go to Top of Page

Z00SH
Speed Merchant

843 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  21:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone - Official BC response

"In Northern Ireland your British Cycling membership would enable you to enter events. However, should you wish to race in Southern Ireland, we would need to issue you with a Letter of Authority."
Go to Top of Page

doc
Speed Merchant

683 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  21:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Straight from the horses mouth.
Go to Top of Page

frenkmcginty
Speed Limits N/A

1359 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2012 :  21:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the eire mob are a lot less hidebound by rules and regulations...i got a letter from them which said i was born in bred in ireland and was eligible for all races....[bred is a wee village near dublin]....frenko'ginty
Go to Top of Page

jockanese
Speed Limits N/A

2015 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2012 :  08:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by frenkmcginty[/i]
[br]the eire mob are a lot less hidebound by rules and regulations...i got a letter from them which said i was born in bred in ireland and was eligible for all races....[bred is a wee village near dublin]....frenko'ginty

That was a bit strong! You "were born an inbred"!
Go to Top of Page

Bryan
Gaining Speed

123 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2012 :  19:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scottish Youth A, B and Juniors raced at Tour of Mayo last year in the South.
Nothing but glowing reports from everyone. You will need a letter from BC though as they say just like you would to race in any country outside UK.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Braveheart Cycling Fund Chat Rooms © 2013 Braveheart Cycling Fund Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000