Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

2016 Braveheart Ride
 All Forums
 Braveheart Cycling Fund Forums
 General Discussion (Track Cycling)
 Junior Women in Scotland (Scottish Track Champs)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pinkarchie
Learner

6 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  13:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm new to braveheart, as well as relatively new to track cycling so I'm feeling a bit naive on the issue of junior women's track racing.

This entire season, the one and only time I encountered another scottish junior girl whilst racing (including track league) was at the British Nationals. This should have made me realise from the off that the scene is quite empty, but it's taken reading that I am one of only 3 girls entered for our own Scottish track champs to shock me into thinking it's a pretty poor state of affairs. There is even a bronze medal going spare if they decide to run the points race in which only two are entered.

I understand that there's a huge list of circumstances that explain why more young people aren't involved in this expensive and specific sport, but none that explain why the girls are dropping so far behind the boys in numbers.

I also realise I'm speaking too late about this to have much impact on the entries for track champs.

Am I raising an issue that people are already all too aware of? Is anyone able to tell me why the sex divide is so apparent? Do we think our new velodrome is going to change this?

ANYWAYS, my real motivation for posting this is selfish. I'm afraid of the four junior female races that I've entered being cancelled because of the numbers entered. Entries are technically closed, but I would be elated if I could spend tonight and nights that follow emailing Janette Hazlett about allowing girls that missed the deadline an exception. Youths as well as juniors! I know there are more track girls out there, I've seen them at Bellahouston! Please come out of hiding so I can ride on Chris' velodrome!!

Frustratedly yours,

Katie x

Edited by - pinkarchie on 19 Oct 2012 14:20:40

n/a
deleted

531 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  14:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

barky
Speed Merchant

762 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2012 :  14:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's any help, the SC board have in the past changed their policy in special circumstances, allowed us an extra week to get a field bigger than 10 riders (!) for the womens road race championships in 2011. I assume it would have to go to the board if it's being considering, as the 2 week entry rule is there for very good reasons. This looks (in my opinion) like a good reason to get a few more riders in an area of the sport that is likely going to grow in the coming years due to participation at the velodrome.

http://www.vortexraceteam.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Allister
Speed Merchant

795 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2012 :  19:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Panic over Archie,

"Obviously with only 2 riders, we naturally canceled the race."

You will just have to ride with the boys if there are enough of them to make a race !!

Go to Top of Page

pinkarchie
Learner

6 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  03:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is the quote from? Do we (all 3 of us) assume the other junior female races are cancelled?

I want to have a rant but what's the point....
Go to Top of Page

Allister
Speed Merchant

795 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  09:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The quote is from the organiser in respect of the junior woman's points race. Make no assumptions about the other events in the mean time until the final programme is made public.
Go to Top of Page

pinkarchie
Learner

6 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  13:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, it's the gender neutral points race!! I am entered and plan to cry if they don't let me ride.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Braveheart Cycling Fund Chat Rooms © 2013 Braveheart Cycling Fund Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000