Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

harrisphoto
Speed Limits N/A

1455 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  14:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been advised that I will be able to promote the Scottish Cycling Scratch Championships at Caird Park this year.

To this end I am waiting for an event application to be cleared, already processed and paid for, to appear on the British Cycling events calendar.

To fit around other events, not yet on the calendar, I was asked not to use the 8th September so the Championships will be on the Saturday 7th September with the British Cycling Endurance meeting still on the 8th September.

I intend to include the 'Inter City Pursuit' event that used to be held at Caird Park, for teams of four riders over two miles.

For youth riders, both days will have counting events towards the BraveheartCyclingFund youth omnium series. One day endurance based, the other sprint based.

Martin Harris
It doesn't get easier, you just go faster

bob b
Crusing Past

277 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  20:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not having a go at you martin, but all national track champs should now be held at glasgow, and i find it totally farcical that this is being allowed to happen.
Go to Top of Page

frenkmcginty
Speed Limits N/A

1379 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  20:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i find it totally farcical that anyone should be forced to go to glasgow for anything....so well done harrisfoto....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

82 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  22:26:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't agree with you on that one Bob B (kinda agree with Frenk )

My history could be confused but I believe that the Scratch Champs have been held at Caird Park for a long time and that has been plenty good enough for riders who have ridden at International level, like Kate Cullen and Fiona Duncan, Craig McLean, James McCallum, Davey Lines and many others, I'm sure.

Martin and his team will host a great event (as usual) on the re-furbed track and whilst the SCH Velodrome is a beauty, doesn't mean every championship has to be there - in my opinion (you're entitled to yours of course - but can't agree that it is 'farcical')
Go to Top of Page

bob b
Crusing Past

277 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  06:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm fully aware of caird parks history and the excellent work martin has done and still does, but its time to move on and progress the sport.
Go to Top of Page

Gordon Goldie
Speed Limits N/A

1162 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  08:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So basically, we have a state of the art, multi-million pound, phenomenal facility that we have been crying out for (for 100 years?)............ and we are holding a national track championship of an olympic event outside on concrete?.........at risk of weather disruption in the Scottish autumn???

Boaby ....... am wi you!
Go to Top of Page

TSB
Crusing Past

229 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  15:34:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disagree with bob b and Gordon goldie.

Can I ask if you will be riding?

I must add though that sadly that date clashes with the euro masters :(
Go to Top of Page

Gordon Goldie
Speed Limits N/A

1162 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  16:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by TSB[/i]
[br]

Can I ask what your point is?
Go to Top of Page

TSB
Crusing Past

229 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  18:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Gordon Goldie[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]

Can I ask what your point is?

Absolutely!

Surely you'd only be concerned if you are riding but you don't say, and therefore I was just asking. If I wasn't at euro masters I would be riding, and I wouldn't be concerned at what track the champs were to be held on.
Go to Top of Page

The Badger
Learner

32 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  19:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TSB, don't think you should go to European Championships, did you not hear that the Euro Scratch Race is now being held in Paris? Doing laps of the Arc de Triomphe?

They thought about using Manchester but the English didn't shout loud enough. Vive La France!!

New venue for British Senior Scratch Race Championship to be announced soon too. Most probably going to be Thoresby Park.
Go to Top of Page

bob b
Crusing Past

277 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  19:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so the only people that matter are the riders? how many will enter the scratch champs at caird park, 20 males, 5-10 females, youths who knows. how many would enter them at glasgow minimum 50 males, 20 females,at least 40 youths.

caird park still has a use, meadowbank, nowhere better on a sunny day but all national track champs should now be held at glasgow.

although i would love to see a derny champs at meadowbank.

Edited by - bob b on 17 May 2013 19:46:02
Go to Top of Page

The Badger
Learner

32 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  20:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ythan Andy[/i]
[br]Can't agree with you on that one Bob B (kinda agree with Frenk )

My history could be confused but I believe that the Scratch Champs have been held at Caird Park for a long time and that has been plenty good enough for riders who have ridden at International level, like Kate Cullen and Fiona Duncan, Craig McLean, James McCallum, Davey Lines and many others, I'm sure.

Martin and his team will host a great event (as usual) on the re-furbed track and whilst the SCH Velodrome is a beauty, doesn't mean every championship has to be there

You're right, but no one ever had the choice in the past.

Since '94 the most popular UK champs track event have been held indoor, previously they were held on Leicester track, but that all changed after Manchester was built. The omnium was regularly held outside until it became an Olympic event.

The Scratch is one of the most popular of the Scottish track champ events, and it would be a shame for it to be rained off... Although, you can race in the rain at caird park.

all things said, credit must be given to martin for organising it.

off topic - heard there is a bid for the 2016 world championships to be held in Bellahouston park.
Go to Top of Page

TSB
Crusing Past

229 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  20:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by bob b[/i]
[br]so the only people that matter are the riders?

Ummmm yeah, who else matters?
Go to Top of Page

Stev
Gaining Speed

179 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  21:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect Gordon wants to sit on the warm and dry where he can sip some cold Becks from the bar TSB!
Go to Top of Page

bob b
Crusing Past

277 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  21:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you read my post properly,i agree the riders are the most important
people, hence the reason it should be held in glasgow, to encourage more to participate. but to ask "whose else matters" really does show your ignorance.which considering who you are doesn't surprise me.

Edited by - bob b on 17 May 2013 21:41:50
Go to Top of Page

The Badger
Learner

32 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  21:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]so the only people that matter are the riders?

Ummmm yeah, who else matters?

If you read bobb b's post, you'll realise whats being said is that there will surely be more of the 'all important' riders like yourself if it is held at Glasgow... It's simples If your not a simpleton...
Go to Top of Page

Stev
Gaining Speed

179 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  22:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br]if you read my post properly,i agree the riders are the most important
people, hence the reason it should be held in glasgow, to encourage more to participate. but to ask "whose else matters" really does show your ignorance.which considering who you are doesn't surprise me.

The only person showing ignorance is you Bob. Track racing has been going on in Scotland for years, it was not invented last October. Indoor and outdoor track racing should be encouraged, I think this should include running some of the track championships outdoors. This is what happens down south. One of the other things they do down south is that they only run a winter track league, this is to encourage outdoor track use - a very positive outlook, unlike yours.
Go to Top of Page

The Badger
Learner

32 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  22:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Stev[/i]
[br]
quote:

The only person showing ignorance is you Bob. Track racing has been going on in Scotland for years, it was not invented last October. Indoor and outdoor track racing should be encouraged, I think this should include running some of the track championships outdoors. This is what happens down south. One of the other things they do down south is that they only run a winter track league, this is to encourage outdoor track use - a very positive outlook, unlike yours.

Track racing has been going on at Meadowbank for years, dundee is not a track. Scratch Championships is one of the biggest and most popular championships, why run it on an large roundabout?

In Scotland it rains a lot more than it does down south, not sure if you've noticed this stev. Fair enough running outdoor champs in places like Herne Hill. In the sun... Clearly your also very ignorant...
Go to Top of Page

The Badger
Learner

32 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  22:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Stev[/i]
[br]
quote:

Track racing has been going on at Meadowbank for years, dundee is not a track. Scratch Championships is one of the biggest and most popular championships, why run it on an large roundabout?

In Scotland it rains a lot more than it does down south, not sure if you've noticed this stev. Fair enough running outdoor champs in places like Herne Hill. In the sun... Clearly your also very ignorant...
Go to Top of Page

Stev
Gaining Speed

179 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  23:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, despite racing at Herne Hill, Harlow, Reading, Coventry, Nottingham, Leicester, S****horpe, Newcastle, Grangemouth, Westhorne, Kirkby, Dundee, Clairville, Meadowbank, Welwyn over the years, I have not found it is any drier in the South! Outdoor track racing always has and always will be at the mercy of the elements, that is no reason to end it.
Go to Top of Page

TSB
Crusing Past

229 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  23:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can I add, I don't know you, therefore you don't know me! Hilarious!
Could sue for defamation of character. But I'd rather spend my energies on supporting track racing in Scotland thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Gordon Goldie
Speed Limits N/A

1162 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  23:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
erm................ no you couldn't.
Go to Top of Page

The Badger
Learner

32 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  23:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apology accepted Stev.
Go to Top of Page

TSB
Crusing Past

229 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  23:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin Harris has put his life and soul into getting Dundee track upgraded.

You should feel ashamed you are not supporting the work he has done to upgrade and keep Caird Park alive.
Go to Top of Page

Fiona W
Speed Merchant

989 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  23:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, difficult one this. Martin has been a great supporter and promoter of track racing over many years and I appreciate the work he has put in. This is Scotland though and we are limited by the weather. Numerous outdoor track meetings in Scotland have been rained off. Last year I entered 3 outdoor track events - all were rained off. We now have a world class indoor track in Scotland and I personally think all the Scottish Champs should be there. I would ride the scratch champs wherever they were, but unfortunately, like TSB I will most likely be at the European masters in Newport

www.realworldfitnesstraining.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

caaaallum
Learner

42 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2013 :  00:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was racing at Dundee for the spring meeting last week.

The organisation was absolutely excellent. Everything ran to time, the races were well marshalled, sign on desk was a breeze and Andy Leith was a maestro on the microphone!

However

It was cold, it was raining, the turn out was poor with a whole slew of call offs and the racing was slow. There were 4/5 punctures before everyone went back to training wheels.

I was also at the "endurace" track league in Glasgow on wednesday.
The organisation wasn't as slick, there wasn't a cake stall, they wanted the numbers pinned on a funny way and there was no discernible microphone presence.

But, the races were long, hard and fast with many a breakaway and there was an opportunity to use the "fast wheels" in preparation for the uni champs this weekend.

Having had the experience, given the choice I'd choose the track league every time.

I've burned more fossil fuels than most over the last 3 years travelling down south to the hard track endurance leagues at Reading, S****horpe, Hernehill, Halesowen, Newcastle under Lyme and others. Indoor racing is still by far my favourite.

Why not use the Scottish as a final tune up for the British Champs and have indoor, well attended, fast racing in Scotland after campaigning for an indoor velodrome for all these years!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Braveheart Cycling Fund Chat Rooms © 2013 Braveheart Cycling Fund Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000