36 David Gunn Forres C.C. Youth DNS
37 Keith Smith Caithness C.C. Sen. DNS
38 Iain Duguid Bicycle Works Sen. DNS
39 David Wards Fullarton Wheelers Sen. DNS

largeheadsmallbrain
Speed Merchant

567 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  18:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that is the definition of a "right good thrashing" in a time trial.
Go to Top of Page

Graham McG
Speed Limits N/A

1771 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  18:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by largeheadsmallbrain

I think that is the definition of a "right good thrashing" in a time trial.

Look on the bright side Arthur at least you're getting the thrashing from the best tester in the UK.
Go to Top of Page

barky
Speed Merchant

762 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  20:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, how and where do we start our campaign to get Jason on the Olympic squad next year. David Millar cannot ride, so it's really between him and Bradley Wiggins, depending on the amount of places allocated. I'm willing to put in a bit of work on this, got a few contacts in BC, so why don't we start RIGHT NOW to get him a place, he deserves it, he's the fastest guy around and he would would make it the peak of his year, unlike Wiggins on team orders.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  20:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got my full backing Colin.
Point 1 - will anyone else come close to Wiggins for a pursuit place? If not - more chance of him not doubling up?

Do we have dates for pursuit and TT?
Go to Top of Page

barky
Speed Merchant

762 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  20:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No doubt he'll concentrate on pursuit as before (and no doubt win it, he's an incredibly talented athlete), if we don't create a bit of pressure from now on I think we know he will be allowed to double up in way he did before, which is completely understandable in a funding way, but I think Jason is faster in the Olympic TT than Wiggins, I really do. I'm in no doubt that if Wiggins thought that an equally talented athlete prepared specifically for 12 months for the Olympic TT he would have a better chance than himself. GG, why don't we start a little campaign, with Jason's input, I've no idea apart from his interviews if he want to even bother pursuing this, maybe he has some more information, but if we can get behind him with his input it must surely help in some way?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  21:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll call him during the week.
Go to Top of Page

ali
Crusing Past

327 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  17:40:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some pictures from the weekends race, we managed to get all the winners this time I think

http://www.granitecityrt.co.uk/olympic_tt.htm
Go to Top of Page

Graham McG
Speed Limits N/A

1771 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  19:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this time of year there used to be several high profile TTs held in Europe (Chrone des Herbiers? - Ivan).I don't know if these still take place but these would be the type of events Jason should be looking to ride to raise his profile.

No idea how he would go about getting a ride - phone call to SC/ BC/ Graeme O'Bree???
Go to Top of Page

stevie blom
Crusing Past

446 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  21:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good in theory going to Europe for these races but the end of the day its got a few hurdels such as Cost/time pre planning to do it right.

Train hard and rest hard race hard.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  11:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grand prix des nations and barachi trophy too? Darryl Webster and Chris Boardman got invites to these in their amateur prime. Didn't Mr Obree ride the GPdN too?
Go to Top of Page

mysterae
Speed Limits N/A

1053 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  11:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by General Hertz Van Rental

Grand prix des nations and barachi trophy too? Darryl Webster and Chris Boardman got invites to these in their amateur prime. Didn't Mr Obree ride the GPdN too?

Grand prix des Nations ITT. Remember Ken Joy, Beryl Burton riding it
Barrachi Trophy was a Two up TT, Coppi and Magni won it
Mr OBree fell off in the GPdN, not held anymore
Go to Top of Page

Grime

334 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  20:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barky

OK, how and where do we start our campaign to get Jason on the Olympic squad next year. David Millar cannot ride, so it's really between him and Bradley Wiggins, depending on the amount of places allocated. I'm willing to put in a bit of work on this, got a few contacts in BC, so why don't we start RIGHT NOW to get him a place, he deserves it, he's the fastest guy around and he would would make it the peak of his year, unlike Wiggins on team orders.

Are you absolutely sure about that? Be interesting to see the outcome of this http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/6975772.stm and, if athletics are succesful, how BC might try and argue a case for Millar who, after all, "..never ever failed a drugs test.." either.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  20:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that anyone who has served a drug ban is inelligible for Olympic selection. Millar served a drug ban, for the misuse of performance enhancing drugs in a competitive Olympic sport. I don't understand how there could be a grey area Graeme?
Go to Top of Page

Grime

334 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  21:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't either but the athletics people seem quite sure they can get this rule overturned and if they do I would think that BC may also then have a go, despite the fact that the cases are quite different. Could be wrong though - I often am.
Go to Top of Page

andrewgturnbull
Gaining Speed

111 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  22:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grime

I don't either but the athletics people seem quite sure they can get this rule overturned and if they do I would think that BC may also then have a go, despite the fact that the cases are quite different. Could be wrong though - I often am.

Hi there.

I think the grey area stems from the fact that rule will be overturned if the athlete in question is a medal contender...

Tim Don - who was the reigning world triathlon champion missed 3 out of competition tests last year. He then served a 3 month ban during the off season, and successfully petitioned to get back on the British squad.

Cheers, Andy

http://www.stirling-tri.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

grambo
Crusing Past

332 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  00:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barky

any progress on this is more effective if driven by the man in person establishing working relations with DB and the rest of the relevant BC performance team.

" he should be going because we think he is the best" claims that do not go through official channels usually fall on deaf ears.

Personally, I am of the opinion that from a physical ability and commitment to the sport perspective, he deserves the chance to prove himself internationally.
Politically, its not that simple. There is much information that muppets like us will never know about.

I don't know the full story, but I know enough to know that moaning about it on a forum and all the campaigning the world will make jack shlT of a difference to his chances.

What is more effective is definitive objective evidence that he has the physical ability to be competitive.

Just a thought, but I suggest melting the cranks right off a calibrated SRM ergometer (that BC use to monitor their athletes)may be a reasonable place to start......... Coincidentally, SC are in possession of such a device.

Doesn't prove he can race (not in the way that beating DM at the champs would have done......) BUT at least proves he has the engine to do the job.

Its always more effective to argue from an evidence base.

Again, much will rest on the outcome of the athletics case and selection may well be decided in court..... NOT the best way, but often the way of the world.

I may be wrong here but I think the olympic ban for positive tests is a BOA rule, not an IOC rule which means its not a blanket ban for all nations.

G

You only ever need 2 tools - WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, spray it with WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, tape it up. :O)
www.dooleys-cycles.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kate C
Setting Off

59 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  17:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably best to read IOC selection document first if someone is going to take action.
The number of places for the Olympics is very restricted and riders are expected to double up for events.
For example, the women’s Points race - the top 8 in the World are selected then the rest of the field is made up from pursuit riders. (They many not even be world class points race riders just very good at the pursuit)
Each country are only allow to take 3 female riders for track events even though there are potentially 5 places per country- 2 for sprint, 2 for pursuit and 1 for points. The rider has to qualify the place for themselves not for their country.

I have not read the document for the mens road time trail but it MAY state only so many riders are allowed for the road events. So if a rider is capable of riding both road race and tt they will be the favourable choice unless the TT rider has a VERY high chance of winning a medal.

I do not know how Jason compares on the world stage as I do not know much about time trailing but I hope he is given his chance to prove himself once again before Olympic selection.
Go to Top of Page

Ivan
Speed Merchant

731 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  18:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think JM has next to no chance of going as I don`t see what he can ride to prove himself.
I think even if he were to beat Millar and Wiggins he wouldn`t be selected because BC will probably go for experience and " routine ".
Take a look at the results for the last O.G ITT , interesting reading , Dangerfield losing 5 and 1/2 minutes in 48 KM. We won`t ever see this type of selection again.

Leve de Wielersport
Go to Top of Page

Pettle Power
Learner

41 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  10:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wiggins will surly ride the pursuit and the time trial at the olympics.

now, if millar can't compete then i can't think of another british rider who could A. beat him in a time trial and an optimistic B. with his engine he could ride a good supporting road race for the likes of cavendish?

Grambo's comment with the SRM ramp test would get BC's attenstion. ive heard unbeleivable stories regarding his 10min threshold power.

mon the Pedal Power
Go to Top of Page

stalwart
Gaining Speed

167 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  22:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DM said in ProCycling this week that he is just happy with being given the second chance that he has and that isn't likely to 'drag his name through the mud' and attempt to overturn the Olympic ban.

I would have thought Wiggins would be very unlikely to attempt the pursuit and Road TT double as the preparation is fairly different and I've never known anyone do both previously. Also, if you look at yesterdays results a TT medal for Brad is realistically a long shot whereas the pursuit is a virtual definate.

In theory therefore, this would open the door for Jason if he continues to perform at his current level (beating Millar in BTTC or breaking 10 Comp Record would obviously help) but as we all know, being simply the top UK time trial rider does not guarantee a ride as there are all sorts of other political issues and limitations on the overall numbers of 'road' riders GB can send. Hence, in the past we have seen track and MTB riders riding the road race as domestiques etc. In fact, Stuart Dangerfield was an exception being sent as a 'dedicated' TT rider, but sent only following Millars EPO admission in 04.

All Jason can do is continue to perform as he currently is, achieve what he can, all of which which he appears to have amazing motivation to do and see what happens. Good luck to him.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2007 :  23:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking out loud here, but what if................
a) External funding could be arranged?
b) A pretty decent stab at an hour record attempt was made by JM?
Go to Top of Page

barky
Speed Merchant

762 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2007 :  07:38:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How's this for blatant speculation, but what if....
Jason was apparently going to about a minute up on Millar at the British champs, if he had the same gap at the worlds, he would have been up to 6th place. Although this all depends on form (Millar says he wasn't feeling good in Germany), course, nerves etc, but interesting.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Braveheart Cycling Fund Chat Rooms © 2013 Braveheart Cycling Fund Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000