Braveheart Cycling Fund Chat Rooms
Braveheart Cycling Fund Chat Rooms
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Braveheart Cycling Fund Forums
 General Discussion (Road Cycling)
 Classic pics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve McGinty
Speed Limits N/A

1152 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  19:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jamie McGahan, Willie Gibb and Norman Lindsay in their Ras days

http://bit.ly/68tqln

http://bit.ly/5v8Ed1

http://bit.ly/5N2D8j

http://bit.ly/6RrarC

http://www.fbdinsuranceras.com/event/category_67.shtml


jockanese
Speed Limits N/A

2015 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  20:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photies, Steve.
Go to Top of Page

ian sharp
Speed Limits N/A

1483 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  21:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aye, but Billy Kerry? The same Ballymena hero?
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1074 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2010 :  22:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billy Kerr. Some rider. Late developer think he was in his late 20s at least when he hit his best. A young Phil Cassidy shoulder to shoulder with Jamie as well
Go to Top of Page

Graham McG
Speed Limits N/A

1751 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  10:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures. Jamie and Willie look real hard men (probably because they were)- If you were in a break with these guys there was none of this sitting on saying 'Feck off, I'll ride my own race'or 'I'm waiting for my team mate'. If they were going through, so were you! Usually till you were reduced to a gibbering wreck.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Go to Top of Page

snoeasy
Crusing Past

417 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  16:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try this site photo of Jamie on the start line at Kirkintilloch.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23666168@N04/page7/

Think I recognise a couple of other faces
Go to Top of Page

snoeasy
Crusing Past

417 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  17:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to see some real ancient footage of the 1970 Scottish Milk race go to the "British Movietone News" website. You need to register but no problem. When you get to the search area put in Story Number 96199A. The six man Scottish team are at the front at the start which from memory was one of the few times we were there. But then again it was Surkowsky on the front
Go to Top of Page

barky
Speed Merchant

749 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  17:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did the Raid Pyrenean in 2009 with a few club mates, Corley Cycles were also doing it with us, Phil was there!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23666168@N04/3977445961/
Go to Top of Page

Steve McGinty
Speed Limits N/A

1152 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  19:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by snoeasy[/i]
[br]Try this site photo of Jamie on the start line at Kirkintilloch.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23666168@N04/page7/

Think I recognise a couple of other faces


That's a blast from the past! The Regent rider beside Jamie is Tam Gibson, Les McLeod (Ivy)and Stevie Finniegan (Glas Wh)with the dodgy barnet. Kenny Reid is the other Regent rider, plus I reckon that's Willie Gibb's shoulder and the late Drew Robertson is the one at the backsporting the 'tache.
Go to Top of Page

snoeasy
Crusing Past

417 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2010 :  19:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try this one its a wee explanation from Sandy Gordon about funding problems prior to the 1974 Commonwealth Games.

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=T0760 The other rider is Dennis Mitchell
Go to Top of Page

Ivan
Speed Merchant

731 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  10:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by snoeasy[/i]
[br]Try this one its a wee explanation from Sandy Gordon about funding problems prior to the 1974 Commonwealth Games.

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=T0760 The other rider is Dennis Mitchell



Great clips , Snoeasy

Leve de Wielersport
Go to Top of Page

soapy soutar
Learner

26 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  13:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the rider in the middle is scott rioch and jim peters is on the right and possibly clanky behind dobbin , on the 81 Ras great ride by russell macfarlane of the nightingale riding for tipperary 10th overall and still only eighteen

maryhillfleet
Go to Top of Page

Steve McGinty
Speed Limits N/A

1152 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2010 :  22:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by soapy soutar[/i]
[br] on the 81 Ras great ride by russell macfarlane of the nightingale riding for tipperary 10th overall and still only eighteen


Getting a chance to ride week long races like the Ras brought out riders who were maybe decent in one dayers, but shone in stage races.

Martin Coll from my generation was another who was an excellent all round rider, but came into his own when the days went up. My Dad used to say the same about Jimmy Rae. Alex Coutts is similar now.

Go to Top of Page

Ivan
Speed Merchant

731 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  10:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Steve McGinty[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by soapy soutar[/i]
[br] on the 81 Ras great ride by russell macfarlane of the nightingale riding for tipperary 10th overall and still only eighteen


Getting a chance to ride week long races like the Ras brought out riders who were maybe decent in one dayers, but shone in stage races.

Martin Coll from my generation was another who was an excellent all round rider, but came into his own when the days went up. My Dad used to say the same about Jimmy Rae. Alex Coutts is similar now.







Do you know where I can get some info viz clubs , palmares , anecdotes , foto's about Joe Christison ?

Leve de Wielersport
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Braveheart Cycling Fund Chat Rooms © 2013 Braveheart Cycling Fund Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000