Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  15:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After getting two lads out last year for short spells to Belgium looks like this year we will have a lot more young Scots.
I will use this thread to post up performances and stories. Some of the lads might chuck some stories in as well.

Dougie Young arrived first last week and went straight into a 140 up rider Kermesse and was punted after 3/4 distance, not bad after not much sleep. Dougie also rode out and back to the race

Finlay Young 2nd to arrive and rode a tough Junior race in West Flanders course and got in some early moves, overcooked it and eventually retired. Finlay rode out and back to the race.

Next day undeterred Finlay rode a junior race at Stijnrider Gooik and again showed early promise but eventually succummed to the heat

Dougie on the same day rode a Kermesse in Gooik and got into the early move of 7 . Eventually beaten by the 36 degree heat he went back to the bunch and eventually retired with heat exhaustion and swallowed a Walls Cornetto in one gulp

Early days yet but both flying the flag and fighting to improve. Very impressed that they are cooking own grub , riding out and back, It will come.

They have a big choice of races this week. More riders arrive mid week

Callum Gough

jockanese
Speed Limits N/A

2015 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  19:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one Callum.
Go to Top of Page

boabet
Learner

47 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  12:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is great - we need to give these guys all the support we can.
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2010 :  12:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tuesday Krishutem Kermesse 120k 9laps 90 starters

Dougie Young starting to get his Belgian legs and neck* as he lasts 6 of the 9 laps with the peleton Only 30 finished this very fast twisting course. Dougie was finishing top ten in good scottish races so that gives an idea of the standard. It is the step up in speed that is the issue. All the guys find this a problem in early days. If we put the Belgians up the Dukes Pass however they would be equally in pain

*What is Belgium neck? Abilty to stretch your neck out at 45 degrees to see up ahead whilst riding in the gutter keeping your bike straight and holding a wheel at 50k per hour one cm from the wheel in front and ignorng the 5 foot dyke to your right.
Go to Top of Page

Jinty H
Speed Merchant

706 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2010 :  12:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff ...

Janette Hazlett
Ivy Cycling Club
Go to Top of Page

baron
Crusing Past

329 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2010 :  23:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is fantastic, well done the the riders and guys looking after them from a distance!
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2010 :  07:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finlay Young in his third race makes the breakthrough and finishes in Peleton yesterday top 30ish. Another red hot day and after riding out he used his charm to blag help from one of the riders parents to get more bottles handed up. Adapting to your surroundings is a skill they are all learning.
Go to Top of Page

John Gordon
Crusing Past

243 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2010 :  13:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Callum, your doing a great job in helping these guys. Keep up the good work and good luck to the young guys, get stuck in.

Just another manic Bundy.
Go to Top of Page

Ivan
Speed Merchant

731 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2010 :  11:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at this site , chances are you'll find all the races these Scottish riders are taking part in , acres of foto's , be patient and scroll down the list on the left of the homepage , if in doubt you can email him , top right.
The single best site for cyclesport under the sun.

http://www.bloggen.be/rodeden/

Leve de Wielersport
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2010 :  22:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
continuing gradual improvement Fin Young broke into top 20 today with a 19th today in an 88k junior Kermesse . rode out 27k . He then put his gears into his back wheel 200m after the line and rode home 27k in the rain on single freewheel! Deep joy
Go to Top of Page

pstubbs
Learner

16 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2010 :  12:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
loads o respect for these guys
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2010 :  12:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

See below straight from facebook.....

well... after my mech jumped into my wheel and chain snapping, me and dougie waited for the crazy rain to stop before we were to ride 30km home from the 90k race. on the now nea frills single speed bike, it was alway FoPPing up, having to put the chain onto small sprockets every few minutes, it eventually snapped after about an hour.
Fin Young hanging onto dougies sholder for the last 10km of the ride, getting pretty dark now, lauging about how we'll never forget this, I find myself snapping car wingmirrors and getting myself off the roof of a car. got a lovely cyclists chin now, chainringed calf. then the car owners come out, take me inside, give me a beer, a few photos then a lift home. (

classic
Go to Top of Page

Graham McG
Speed Limits N/A

1771 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2010 :  14:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Belgium - don't ya love it

Stick in guys, and avoid the 5ft dykes!
Go to Top of Page

Euan Pope
Crusing Past

224 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2010 :  16:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the guys are getting in about it!
Go to Top of Page

harrisphoto
Speed Limits N/A

1455 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2010 :  20:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James Smith 10th in first race in Belgium. picked up from facebook

Martin Harris
www.discoveryjcc.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2010 :  21:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
comments from James

"was in a break with 6 others for 4 laps of the 12, then the bunch started chasing hard cause we got over a minute and dropped loads, then i messed up my sprint so got 10th :P was alright!"

good start in horrible rain...

Fin recovering from his late night assault of a car wing mirror and Dougie recovering from pushing him home
Go to Top of Page

Ivan
Speed Merchant

731 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2010 :  21:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.bloggen.be/pomer/

This is another good site , races , category and date down column on left , keep checking back , Pomer might have been at the races these Scottish riders were doing.

Leve de Wielersport
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2010 :  13:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ivan[/i]
[br]http://www.bloggen.be/pomer/

This is another good site , races , category and date down column on left , keep checking back , Pomer might have been at the races these Scottish riders were doing.

Leve de Wielersport

Good stuff Ivan, you are the man.
Go to Top of Page

Ivan
Speed Merchant

731 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2010 :  14:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by fuente[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ivan[/i]
[br]http://www.bloggen.be/pomer/

Leve de Wielersport

Good stuff Ivan, you are the man.

Hi Fuente ,

If you give me the Place , Date and Category details of the races the Scots are riding I'll see if I can track down foto's and other info.

Leve de Wielersport
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  22:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MORE FROM FACEBOOK. THIS TIME FROM DOUGIE

Raced last night. We were late for the start though. Got lost and had to ride through and off to make it on time. Done about 2hrs pedalling to the race as it was quite far away. Sat behind a tractor for the last 10km to the town at 50kph. Sign on closed at 6:15pm and we got there at 6:20. Managed to get signed on 5 mins to pin our numbers on and bombed it to the start. Just me and Liam who were racing as Michael was still sorting out his bike. 13 laps of an 8km course with a 10 euro prime on every lap. Pan flat. They absolutely smashed it to bits. Never been so fast in my life. Speed we were going round some of the bends was ridiculous. Nothing was getting away but it was constantly lined out. Turned myself inside out to hang on. Lasted about 1hr 20. Was trying that hard at times I thought I was going to black out. Eventually my legs gave up. sprinting flat out to get on the wheel but they were just pulling away from me then got caught out in the wind. No chance of getting back on. Ride to the race took a bit out of me. Just chilled and went to see James race today up in Brakel. Racing with Michael tomorow up near Gent in Assesende. Going to get the train out though to save the legs a bit!

These guys are going to be flying soon

Go to Top of Page

jockanese
Speed Limits N/A

2015 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  11:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff!!!
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  09:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last nights race

feedback from Dougie ,Michael and Liam

107k in 2hrs 23mins with cobbles. 32 degrees heat ... work it out its awesome. My mate Ken Jones watched this race and he said it was very fast. great experience

Lads hanging in there for grim death in the peloton forms coming . If we encourage them they may write some stories ,think they are too knackered to lift fingers to type

Callum Gough

Edited by - fuente on 09 Jul 2010 10:01:26
Go to Top of Page

Graham McG
Speed Limits N/A

1771 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  11:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on then guys give us some stories. It'll at least give me a break from reading Proust and getting excited about managing to do 5 minutes on the turbo.
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  12:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dougie Young commented on his status:

"14 laps of a 7.7km circuit. Sharp right and left turns onto a narrow back road. Only enough room for 3 abreast this was going into a headwind. Then a sharp left and left again but in towards the town. Long fast road back into town in the cross winds. Onto cobbles where we turned right then left and left again. All cobbles through the town then onto the finishing straight. Pan flat. Pace wasn't as savage as the last few i've done. Think with the headwind along the back end of the circuit they weren't keen to keep on smashing so allowed me more to time to recover. Still rapid and chewing the bars alot of the time but it eased off more than usual. Ended up a big bunch sprint. Chaos coming into the cobbles at the end all over the road fighting for the front going into the turns. I got muscled to the back of the bunch. Michael managed to get 30th and I got 40th coming in at the back end of the bunch. Pleased to get round finally. "

Go to Top of Page

Euan Pope
Crusing Past

224 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  13:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Dougie has passed a big milestone. Well done!!
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  14:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Euan Pope[/i]
[br]Looks like Dougie has passed a big milestone. Well done!!

yes I agree Euan, takes a couple of weeks to condition your legs to the speed and jumping out them bends. Especially for the lightweight climbers like Dougie and Liam. Also the corner positioning is so much different at 28mph than at 25mph its more like a crit. Good for the head when you get round though. This race was 28mph on cobbles you would have had to be Tom Boonen to get a gap and hold it. They did well. When they start riding the hillier races soon in the Flemmish Ardennes they will feel more at home.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Braveheart Cycling Fund Chat Rooms © 2013 Braveheart Cycling Fund Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000