Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  14:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Graham McG[/i]
[br]Come on then guys give us some stories. It'll at least give me a break from reading Proust and getting excited about managing to do 5 minutes on the turbo.

Come over and be TM Graham. Better than sitting at home. If you can drink coffee in the square and watch races with a Duvel and a copy of Het Nieuwsblad YOUVE GOT THE JOB.
Go to Top of Page

Graham McG
Speed Limits N/A

1771 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2010 :  15:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
best job description I've ever read.

Good to see the guys finishing. As you say it takes a while to find the legs (and elbows) in Belgium - I've no doubt the lads will soon be getting in the moves, getting up there and picking up prize money.

Stick in guys and keep the reports coming.

Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2010 :  22:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fin Young 10 July at 20:53
Orite Callum. You can put this on braveheart if you want. Here's how the day went.

Was a good day today. My first race back since my wee accident (and first ride on my own bike) since last Friday. It was also Andy leith first race out here. We rode to the race in Deselburgen , it was about 30degrees, not much wind so it felt hot. We got there in time to chill out for about 30mins, tan as much electrolyte drink down my neck as possible, really didn't want to come all this way to cramp up. Started the race at 3oclock. It was 89km, 13laps of a 6,8km circuit. All flat, a lot of tight bends, narrow roads, gravel and speed bumps. Tried to get away ro bridge to the front 3 early on but moves never stuck. Bunch didn't let anything go, so just waited till they were brought back. Eventually got away again with 3 other at 1 lap to go, but not for the top places. With 2km to go we were catching a group of 6 ahead of us, then 2 guys in our group decided to not go through so much with intentions of just winning our bunch sprint which was annoying. Didn't catch the group and after going for a long one on the finishing straight I only got 3rd in our wee group. Finished 24th overall in what was an absolute savage race. Went through 2 750ml bottles and a 600ml kn my pocket, really needed the liquid today cause of the heat. Tom Moses, Yorkshire, won and sam Harrison, wales, was a around top 5 (6th and 7th at junior Paris-roubaix respetivly). Andy finished in the bunch which was pretty good for this being his first race out here.
We got cleaned up, prize money, number handed in then started to ride hone again. Was raining on the way home which wasn't so bad because it was still 27degrees!
Got home, looking at the speedo, 5hrs of riding,on the dot, 100.59 miles. What a day.
Getting for tomorrows "stage". Only 18km to the race this time, race being 90km again.

Fin
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2010 :  22:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calum McLean race thoughts on his first race

"Pretty darn hard. 14 x 8k 35degrees. Held on Dougie finished in the same bunch as me, Michael was in the group ahead and Liam DNF. Lot of cobbles although was on the pavement for the worst of"

Think Michael was 25th?

Edited by - fuente on 10 Jul 2010 22:36:13
Go to Top of Page

Michael Nicolson
Setting Off

77 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  18:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright,

Since arriving last week I've done three savage races.

The first race was 108k on a pan flat circuit in 26degrees. Both Dougie and myself suffered round in the bunch. The race was runn off at 28mph average which was made tougher by the heat. We were both happy just to finish.

The second race was 112k on another flat circuit with lots of cobbles. Again the racing was intense and this time it was 30degrees. Dougie was active getting up the front in some of the splits but it was all staying together. I managed to sneak into the winning move but with a lap(8k) to go I got shelled. I just managed to stat in front of the bunch sprint with Dougie up the front of it. I finished 25th with dougie 32nd. The average was again over 27mph.

The next day we rode out to a shorter race nearby (67k). This circuit was hillier with several hard drags. Over the first few laps breaks came and went but it mainly stayed together. With three to go a break went that looked like it might stick. With one lap to go Liam cowie attacked a fast moving bunch up the main climb. He never manger yo cross to the break but stayed clear of the bunch to finish 19th. The heat again was a major factor.

I would like thank calum for the opportunity to experience some belgian racing. Due numbers of boys staying and racing here I would say there is a high demand for Belgian racing. I'm not one for sc bashing but it seems ridiculous that one man does more for Scottish racers with ambition than a well funded organisation. The sc do a lot for youths and juniors and they have plenty of qualified staff but there is nothing for over 18's. I think that if we want to produce racers of the highest level then more needs to be done.

P.s I'm not slagging anyone at sc.

Michael Nicolson

Go to Top of Page

barky
Speed Merchant

762 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  20:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So based on this, what kind of races would you like to see in Scotland that might better prepare our riders for heading across to Belgium? Is there anything we can do to make the racing a bit more 'Belgian'? Short circuits, mid race primes worth fighting for, some way of encouraging team riding? Looking for ideas and if we get a good one, it might end up in a new event the riders want to ride.

www.vortexraceteam.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Graham McG
Speed Limits N/A

1771 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  21:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by barky[/i]
[br]So based on this, what kind of races would you like to see in Scotland that might better prepare our riders for heading across to Belgium? Is there anything we can do to make the racing a bit more 'Belgian'? Short circuits, mid race primes worth fighting for, some way of encouraging team riding? Looking for ideas and if we get a good one, it might end up in a new event the riders want to ride.

www.vortexraceteam.co.uk

How to prepare for Belgium? Easy: attack, attack, attack, then when your heart rate is at 200bpm, your legs screaming and your head telling you that one more pedal rev will end in cardiac arrest, attack again.

Good to see so many young Scots taking up the opportunity that Callum is providing. I know that the opportunity has been there for a number of years but this is, I think, the first time it's been taken up by so many riders. Heartening to see.
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  23:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Easy tigers

SC coaching and development staff are actively encouraging the younger riders to get over to Belgium (OR ANYWHERE FOR THAT MATTER). Herdy, Mark Young and Mark Mackay are encouraging them to race abroad.
Trouble is they dont tell anyone the great work they are doing . One of SC long standing problems is communication, the good work doesnt get communicated. So my only criticism of the coaching team is SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS GUYS or employ someone who will.

Regarding preperation for fast races (Belgium etc), I would encourage the road review team to go back to James original vision of the super six. Shorter faster (100k) races on smaller circuits (hilly or flat it doesnt matter so long as its safe) with 80 Man fields. One race for the stars and one race for the beginners women and old gets.
Let the Classic races 80mile plus on the big loops etc have its own "Classics league" run seperate from the Super Six
The up and coming riders can then let the Super six races bridge the gap from the 40mile 3/4 races to the Classics.

Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  23:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Message from Dougie

Dougie YoungJuly 14, 2010 at 7:42am
Subject: Saturday
Yo you can put this one on the braveheart my account of the race on Saturday.
Was up in Sint- Niklaas. 14 laps of an 8km circuit. Was really hot at the start so didnt bother much with a warm up as it was better to stay in the shade and keep my bottles as cool as possible. The circuit was basically a square. A cobble section through the finish right hand turn on cobbles onto the long flat smooth slabbed road. Turned right onto another complete cobbled road. This made it fun though as there was a gutter on the left hand side or the cycle path on the right. Noone rode on the cobbles as they were brutal so it was a scramble every lap to get onto the bike path (came to a standstill trying to get on it a few times) this section was also into a headwind. Then another right turn with some cobbled speed bumps to rattle your bike some more. Another right turn along a smooth road with a man spraying us with his garden hose every lap to keep us cool.
The race started off pretty rapid and I was suffering for the first lap or so due to not doing a proper warm up but was in no danger of getting dropped. There wasn't so many big hitters at this race so when it eased off it eased off enough for me to recover a bit. Not like the first few races ive done where ive been constantly on the limit untill I pop eventually. There was lots of attacks but noone was really getting away for the first few laps. Had a few digs myself but not really strong enough to keep it going with these guys. wasnt untill about 4 laps to go that guys managed to break and gain significant time on the bunch. Michael got away in one of these moves and stayed away till the finish line. I was suffering in the heat in the last few laps. Had two big torpedos and one small in my back pocket. Finished them all with 5 laps to go. Was dying and was only really thinking about just getting to the finish. The group I was in were racing for 26th place on the last lap. I managed to squeeze my way to the front on the run in and sort of get up in the bunch kick. Finished 32nd.

The next day we decided to race a VWF race which was shorter and 67km. I punctured on the first lap so that was race over for me. Sat in the sun and watched the racing for the rest of the day.

Was going to race today (Tuesday). Got the train out to Kortijk to save the legs and the plan was to pedal out to Beitem where the race was. The map I have didnt have Beitem on it so decided to follow a road that I had pictured in my head on google maps. Turns out we pedalled for an hour North along the N50 instead of the N32. Missed the sign on closing time so just had to pedal home. Donkey mistake but not so bad as only a few days till we can race again!
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  09:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
view from Calum McLean 14 July 2010 at 09:32

I arrived on Friday and decided to race on Saturday a kermesse 14 x 8k so 112k. Was my first U23 race in Belgium so was really nervous not knowing what to expect. Started well just with the aim of getting round and found it was much more controlled than Junior races which are simply mental. Didn't attack myself but followed a few guys that did. All were brought back and took a good 10mins to recover from. Started to cramp up on the last lap and by the time we finished my legs had totally seized. Happy that I finished but really nailed.
Did a VWF race on Sunday that was only 67k. Found it was a day too far and only lasted to half way. We all had a rest day on Monday with the plan to race on Tuesday. Liam decided to rest so Michael, Dougie and I caught the train to Kortijk. Rode 26k in the wrong direction rode back to Kortijk and had a coffe with Fin, Andy and Sarah who had cycled out to watch the race. Lesson learned: have 2 people navigating. Planning to race Thursday and Saturday and maybe Sunday if I can so heading out for a ride now. Going to tackle the Koppenberg too so looking forward to that.
Go to Top of Page

Frog
Learner

2 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  20:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SC with assistance from Braveheart have a team of Scottish Juniors riding the following race in the South of France
http://www.tour-valromey-organisation.com/
Day 1 100k,3xCat3 Climbs
Day2 100k, 2xCat3,1xCat1 and 1xHC
Day3 100k 2xCat1,1xCat2 and 1xHC to finish on
Day4 100k 3xCat1
Check the race manual for full course profile and results which are very competive considering the heat.
Go to Top of Page

mysterae
Speed Limits N/A

1053 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  23:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great race well organised and plenty of hills ,will be good experience for the lads. Whos in the team?. The race will be finished now (11th 14th) how did they got on?
Go to Top of Page

Steve McGinty
Speed Limits N/A

1156 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  07:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

1 VOGT Mario GHO GER 10h50'20''
2 GUYOT Romain YON FRA 10h53'30'' 03'10''
3 LATOUR Pierre-Roger RHA FRA 10h55'10'' 04'50''
4 ADAMS Jens AVI BEL 10h55'27'' 05'07''
5 WASTYN Emiel BEL BEL 10h55'54'' 05'34''
6 DESMECHT David VZW BEL 10h56'36'' 06'16''
7 FERGUSON Grant SCO GBR 10h56'59'' 06'39''
8 LAPALUS Aurélien EMB FRA 10h57'57'' 07'37''
9 RUYTERS Brecht BEL BEL 10h58'00'' 07'40''
10 BUCHMANN Emanuel LVW GER 10h58'11'' 07'51''

51 JOHNSTONE Taylor SCO GBR 11h25'05'' 34'45''

http://www.tour-valromey-organisation.com/Files/general.pdf

James Smith and Matthew Hamilton classified as DNF on the final stage which was over 100k. Grant Ferguson was 2nd in his age group and in the KoM
Go to Top of Page

Frog
Learner

2 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  08:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matt Hamilton, James Smith and Jack Barrett were all in the top 50 until the last day which was probably the hardest, can,t seem to look back on the previous stages results, my French is not that great. Hopefully will get one of them to put together a brief report when they return, which could be a while as they are heading back to Belguim and Grant goes to the next two MTB XC World Cups in Switzerland and Italy
Go to Top of Page

pstubbs
Learner

16 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2010 :  23:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
enjoying reading the race reports,keep them coming ,good luck lads
Go to Top of Page

Graham McG
Speed Limits N/A

1771 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2010 :  10:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive result,Grant - well done.
Go to Top of Page

bucket job
Gaining Speed

108 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2010 :  23:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.bloggen.be/rodeden/archief.php?ID=834545
Go to Top of Page

Andy Leith
Learner

3 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  22:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wee update on racing here. Started off last Saturday at quite a big race in Gent. First race and was just getting used to it, nothing very special finished in the bunch for 51st place. Was a twisty circuit but was still pretty fast. Me and Fin rode to the race and back which meant we did 100 miles. Felt fine after it but noticed it the next day.

Next race was the day just north of Gavere. This race had a cobbled climb that split the field up a bit. I made a bit of a mess of the race and wasn't in the right place when it split. The split (which was quite big) gained so much that those who were left got pulled when there was still a good few laps to go. Was still placed 37th and Fin 31st but definitely a lesson learned from that one. Rode there and back again, quite good as you get your warm-up and cool-down sorted.

Me and Fin decided to race mid-week in a town just south of Ieper. Meant getting a train, no great hassle over here though. The race was part of a festival in the town so had quite a lot of people watching. The race was jumpy with lots of attacks, we were trying our best to cover as many as possible and the winning trio got away just as I was brought back in another group previously. Another group slipped away, made up of lots of ones and twos, we were annoyed to have missed that but what was even more annoying was that no-one would chase in back in the bunch! Ended up being me and Fin and two or three others going through and off to get it back. We got the gap down from over a min to being about 25m away from them as we crossed the line! Got placed 21st but felt that I really should have (and could) have been higher. Fin was 18th just ahead. Felt this race was a turning point for me and started to feel I was getting the hang of this more, being active and competitive in the race rather than being carried along in the bunch.

On Thursday night the rest of the Scotland juniors who had been racing the stage race in France arrived in Belgium. We raced as a team for the race on Saturday with Mark Young and Scott Couch doing bottles. We got a lift to the race which wasn't actually that far away. Had the worst start in world and couldn't get the pedal in quickly - ended up at the back of the bunch on a twisty narrow circuit! Took me 2 laps to work back up the front, the team was already doing well with two (Matt and Taylor) in the break. The break was a fair size and was commited, the rest of us were on a misson to make sure it stuck. I ended up doing a lot of work but not much got away, so successful on that front, this did start to annoy the belgiens quite a bit and was the first time that I felt like someone was going to put me in a ditch. The system worked and we got a result - Taylor was 4th and Matt was 6th. Jack clipped off the front in a 2 or 3 man move with a lap to go to get 21st. I attacked coming out of a corner with about 1.5k to go from what was left of the bunch. Managed to hold them off to the finish to get 24th. A good team effort all round got some good results.

Todays race wasn't far away at all in Maarkel Kirkem. We went as a team again but Mark and Scott had left to get the tunnel home. This had a bit of a hill in it which suited us quite well. Legs were feeling tired in the opening laps but settled into it quite well. There was an early break that we got 2 riders into but it was brought back. 3 that were in it jumped off just as it was getting caught and were never seen again. Unfortuanly we didn't have anyone in it. Lots of small attacks happened but not much was happening. I decided with about 4 to laps to go that I would try and create something. Attacked as hard as I could out of a corner and got a gap on my own. The gap got bigger and 3 people bridged upto it. We worked together well to gain about a min or so on the bunch. The finish was on a long but wide road and I was uncertain of my chances in this, everyone had been pretty evenly matched in the break. I decided to lead it out with about 300m to go. Fairly successful, was 2nd in the group, the other guy just pipped me on the line. Meant I was 5th overall which I was pretty happy but again another good team effort. Taylor was 14th and Matt 23rd. Makes a real difference having a team that knows what they are doing. Obviously, we're splitting the prize money as well.

Overall, things going pretty good, massive thanks from all of us to Callum for the opportunity.

Cheers
Andy

Sorry this turned out longer than expected!
Go to Top of Page

mark young
Gaining Speed

138 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  15:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I just thank Callum Gough very much for letting all of the young riders, including those over 18, stay in his Oudenaarde flat.

After the Valromey Stage Race, in which the whole team performed so well, we drove to Ronse and Oudenaarde to drop off the 5 youngsters so they could continue their racing education.

I also got the chance to see the Juniors in a Kermesse on Saturday evening. They carried on their teamwork; Taylor Johnstone and Matt Hamilton getting in a break of 6 and the others policing the bunch. 4th for TJ and 6th for Matty.

I took video of the Valromey Tour and also some of the Kermesse, so hopefully this will be used at the Braveheart Dinner.

Mark

Mark Young
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  18:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice report Andy keep them coming.
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  18:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been at a music festival for a few days so this may be old info or duplicate of other reports but here goes......

This is from Fin Young

Andy and I caught the train to Ieper yesterday, then rode 7km to Witjchat. It was 7.2km circuit that weaved in and out of the town centre twice. It was near kemmel, so its a hilly area, and the last 200m to the finish was a hill into a block head wind. The wind played a big part because the out of town sections were very exposed. I tried to get into an early move but failed. A break of 3 went on lap 7 of 12, none of these belgies like to chase. With about groups of 3ish people pinging off, they all joined together to make a bigger group of 13. As cool as the new dooleys kit looks, it didnt do andy any favour yesterday- "schottich champion!"- so he was marked to the ground. Andy and I started to chase hard with about 3 to go, because the group ahead looked like they were faffing around. Having to yell at these guys or have to push them through so that the do their turn is quite annoying, but it's the way it is here in the junior races - no mutual respect, so look our for number one. Last lap, and almost caught the group ahead, in the mean time I looked around and our had significantlly been whittled down. Still only a few wanting to help andy and I, and the canadians not making any new friends, I got away with a km to go with one on my wheel but he came around me at the line, so I got 18th, and andy 23rd. Quite frustrating because we both feels we could have gone top 10 or higher.
Enjoyed the race; both of us though it was cool whenever we lead the bunch the loudspeakers shouted "Androoe Lait" or "Finaly Yonga". We both ran out if water with 3 laps to go, so were dying for a drink right after the line.
Got a race both days this weekend. Got more familiar faces now with more scots juniors at the races.
Fin young
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  19:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Report from Liam Cowie

19th place...

the day after an under 23/elite race on cobbles we headed to a VWF race in 32 degrees.

it was only 70km but after getting smashed in a race on Sat it wasnt easy (27 average).

After Dougie puncturing and Calum Mclean being nackered from the race the day before they were out. That left Micheal and I.

I caught up with Micheal in the bunch and asked him if he wanted me to work for him and how he was feeling...
Micheal said he was ****ed from his efforts on Sat and so said he would work for me.
He turned it on with two laps to got and wrecked a lot of Belgians legs while I suffered to stick to his wheel. We went off the front of the bunch and caught and went through the next group on the road. Only one Belgian stuck to my wheel while Miacheal carried on smashing it. At the begining of the last lap he turned to me and said off you go...

I couldnt quite get over to the break and suffered the rest of the lap to stay away. Spewed up blood for my 19th place but I couldn't have gone anywhere without the help of Micheal (he took some abuse after the Belgian realised he was working for me) !!

In the last elite race I lasted on a brutal day until 4 laps to go (out of 17). I feel very comfortable jumping out of the corners now but cant hold the top end speed for long.

cheers Liam

Go to Top of Page

pstubbs
Learner

16 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  16:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
enjoying reading these race reports,keep them coming-good luck lads
Go to Top of Page

fuente
Speed Limits N/A

1075 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  16:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by bucket job[/i]
[br]http://www.bloggen.be/rodeden/archief.php?ID=834545

5 pics down
Go to Top of Page

John Gordon
Crusing Past

243 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2010 :  21:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really enjoying the reports. Great to see the boys doing so well.
What a great experience for these guys.
Good luck for the rest of your time out there.

Just another manic Bundy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Braveheart Cycling Fund Chat Rooms © 2013 Braveheart Cycling Fund Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.87 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000