2008 Braveheart Fundraising Ride
Saturday 25th October 2008
ONLINE ENTRY CLOSED
NO entry on the day as there is already a full field of 500 entrants.
10.30 am 44 mile ride all leisure riders and Under 16s groups of 30 at 2 minute intervals
10.45 am 20 mile ride groups of 30 at 2 minute intervals
10.50 am 44 mile ride – Seniors Pro & Elite groups of 30 at 2 minute intervals
Registration information - if you have entered and given a valid email address, you should have received an email giving details about registration. If you haven't received it download it here. ../pix/uploaded/RideEvents/Riderinfo.pdf
This will not be a course for the narrow racing tyres! Please remember to bring spare tubes with you and the means to fit them if necessary. There will be a service vehicle but with 500 riders he can't be everywhere at once!
Even if you can't / wont ride, come along and see the show - lots of new blingy road kit to see.
Cycle Trade Show
New for this year will be cycle trade displays from some of the biggest names in the industry including:
- ATB Sales, distributer of World Champion Lampre Team's bikes with the new Cento Uno
- Giant – with the chance to try out their fantastic 2009 range of road machines,
- Claud Butler with a range of racing bikes from entry level to full carbon fibre bikes
- Zyro plc, distributors of distinguished brands such as CatEye will be there to demonstrate some of the new season’s lights and Altura clothing.
- Fisher Outdoor, will have samples of World Championship winning clothing - Santini, SRAM - THE new thing on road bikes and TACX - virtual reality turbo trainers.
- Impsport who produce the Braveheart kit
- Sustrans, the national organsation behind cycle routes.
- Scottish Cycling, national governing body for cycle sport in Scotland along with the people behind Europe's largest windfarm, which the ride goes past in Whitelee Forest Scottish Power Renewables
Scottish Cycling Hero Chris Hoy
will be waiting to congratulate riders when they return
So don't rush away - there will be lots to see for everyone, as well as the CANTEEN offering sustinance for those who have completed the ride as well as family and friends.
This year’s main ride promises to be challenging and varied, going over the Ballageich, almost 1000 feet above sea level and past the site of the Whitelee Wind Farm, currently the largest planned in Europe. The short route skirts the side of the hill before returning down the A77 Cycle Route.
The route will be signposted and copies of route maps will be available at registration. Some junctions will be marshalled but riders must be aware that the roads will be open to all traffic. Marshals will not be stopping traffic. It is the rider’s responsibility to familiarise themselves with the route and to observe the rules of the road, including stopping at traffic lights and giving way to traffic as appropriate. Riders must ride on the left hand side of the road at all times. On the A77 section of the route please use the cycle route rather than the road.
Anyone can take part!
Even though 20 miles (or even 44 miles) might seem like a huge distance, it is not as difficult as it sounds!
Some people may want to try and complete the course as fast as possible but the majority take it at an easy pace and enjoy the beautiful scenery riding with friends.
Anyone can register and join in, children and adults would enjoy themselves. There are no limits - all it takes is a bit of enthusiasm and some preparation and you will enjoy a fantastic and rewarding experience. Riders under 18 will need to have an adult with them and parental consent forms must be signed before starting the ride. ../pix/uploaded/RideEvents/parental_consent.pdf
The 2008 Braveheart Fundraising Ride has the usual low entry fee. Your entry fee helps cover costs of the event. To help us raise funds, we ask anyone participating in the ride to download the sponsor form and ask friends and family if they would be kind enough to sponsor. The sponsor form is made available for download to all online entries at the end of the entry process, or to anyone who has entrered (online or postal) by simply dropping the Fund an email requesting it.
Adult - £12
U16 - £8 (U16 on the day of the event)