Leitch ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ivan
Speed Merchant

731 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  13:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of a rider called Leitch who may have ridden for the Scotland team in 1965 ?
I'm not sure of the spelling and have no first name.

Leve de Wielersport

mysterae
Speed Limits N/A

1053 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  16:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim Leitch won the SCU Junior BAR in 1960 he was in the Wallacehill. C.C then. went on to represent Scotland as you say, might have been the Milk Race.

Edited by - mysterae on 08 Dec 2009 16:13:39
Go to Top of Page

Ivan
Speed Merchant

731 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  16:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by mysterae[/i]
[br]Jim Leitch won the SCU Junior BAR in 1960 he was in the Wallacehill. C.C then. went on to represent Scotland as you say, might have been the Milk Race.

Interestingly , he won a stage in the 1965 Tour of Slovakia , Billy Bilsland also won two stages in the same year.
Graeme Nisbet recently sent me copies of the race programmes from 1976 and 1979 ( the years he rode the race ) , Leitch's name appears in the stage winners for 1965.
Some effort !

Leve de Wielersport
Go to Top of Page

bigjim
Crusing Past

360 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  17:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ivan 08dec2009

dont you mean jim leitch of lomond roads and vc stella a very good
riders in the sixties
Go to Top of Page

clune brae prime
Crusing Past

333 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  18:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by bigjim[/i]
[br]ivan 08dec2009

dont you mean jim leitch of lomond roads and vc stella a very good
riders in the sixties

is this the same big jimsey that goes round dalmally with frenk mcginty?

why have all these old codgers/ex international riders downloaded their dementia on the forum recently?

See you at Bridge of Weir
Go to Top of Page

snoeasy
Crusing Past

425 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  15:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Jim Leitch when he was in the VC Stella. He was a great roadman. Others may know the detail but the SCU decided that they had to discipline Jim for something that happened on the Scottish Milk Race in the sixties after which Jim was lost to Scottish cycling "Sin Die". A very great loss!!
Go to Top of Page

Ivan
Speed Merchant

731 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  19:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by snoeasy[/i]
[br]I remember Jim Leitch when he was in the VC Stella. He was a great roadman. Others may know the detail but the SCU decided that they had to discipline Jim for something that happened on the Scottish Milk Race in the sixties after which Jim was lost to Scottish cycling "Sin Die". A very great loss!!

Do you have any more details of the events which provoked the ban ?
He must have been a very good rider to have won a stage in Slovakia.

Leve de Wielersport
Go to Top of Page

gus paterson
Speed Merchant

526 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  20:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jimmy,I remember my buddy Tommy Leonard ('Gale) and Ernie Scally won the Clune two-up.Scally had already ridden and won a 10tt that morning and there was a time frame that you couldn't ride another race too soon after the first,however SCALLYwag had it figured out that they got to the Clune just in time to get a start ,and won.My brother Tommy had just out from the army,in Egypt and rode with me,he was so out of shape I had to drag him all the way round.At the top of the Clune his rear derailleur twisted,one of those crummy Simplex jobs,we had to stop and sort of straighten out the best we could,Tommy wanted to quit but I coaxed him to get on my wheel again and finished with that thing rubbing all the way.We even beat big Davey Mclaren and his partner.Since I could never beat Davey in a sprint,he said aye but it took two of you to beat me.He had a bit of a reputation for sucking a wheel,but that's ok.it was all good fun...Cheers!!!
Go to Top of Page

snoeasy
Crusing Past

425 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  21:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason behind the ban was given to me at least 3rd hand so I am not sure about the accuracy. However Ian thomson who was in the VC Stella at the time I think will be able to give the details of the story. It was probably about 1967 or 68.

Go to Top of Page

mysterae
Speed Limits N/A

1053 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  21:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There was a few Scottish riders went and rode the Rapport Tour in South Africa using funny names and were banned Sine die. Sean Kelly and Pat McQuiad(UCI)also rode it and were banned one month by Irish cycling.
Go to Top of Page

Gordon Goldie
Speed Limits N/A

1162 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  22:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was Sandy Gordon involved in that trip Jimmy?
Go to Top of Page

mysterae
Speed Limits N/A

1053 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  22:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not too sure about Sandy but I think he was. The late Drew Robertson was there and also a top rider from Ayrshire, forget his name. I think they must have appealed and got the sine die sentence reduced. still not scotfree
Go to Top of Page

gus paterson
Speed Merchant

526 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  23:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul Curran was also caught along with Kelly in S.A. Kelly then turned Pro but Paul stayed on in S.A. never to be heard much of again.I'm trying to remember,his name may have been John,but I know at the time he was reckoned to be God's gift to Scottish Cycling.Cheers!!!
Go to Top of Page

gus paterson
Speed Merchant

526 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  23:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now Hector Mckenzie was suspended to my recollection,was suspended for 2 years for his transgressions.I remember he trained his arse of and tried coming back like a raging bull,didn't quite work...Cheers!!!
Go to Top of Page

gus paterson
Speed Merchant

526 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  23:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re jogged my memory,it was Jon Curran,along with Kelly. Cheers!!!
Go to Top of Page

gus paterson
Speed Merchant

526 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  00:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correction John Curran.
Go to Top of Page

snoeasy
Crusing Past

425 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  17:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim leitch was not involved with the infamous SA trip I think that was in the 70s. The "Story" that I heard was that a certain individual who was not a bikie, but who was the Scotland team manager on the ToScotland and Jim had a disagreement about something and there was an altercation. Jim tried to resolve the issue by wrapping a wheel round this individuals head. An action that was apparantly thought to be well justified in the circumstances by other witnesses. Anyway the SCU did not like this, probably as the action took place during their flagship event.
Go to Top of Page

Ivan
Speed Merchant

731 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  18:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Scottish riders were Henry Wilbraham and John Curran.

Leve de Wielersport
Go to Top of Page

Fairjel
Learner

1 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2010 :  18:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm John Leitch ex Wallacehill CC, Kilmarnock. I was lucky enough to win the SCU Junior BAR, Junior Team BAR, and I was a member of the 50 mile Championship Team in 1960 I still had another year as a Junior but unfortunately found other interests. I retired recently and bought TRack and Road Bikes to help me loose some weight. Sorry I don't know Jim Leitch. I now live in Dingwall.
Go to Top of Page

somerled39
Learner

1 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  08:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jimmy Leitch was a member of the Lomond Roads from about 1958[59]
He held the Scottish ;25' record I think,I seem to remember He and Norrie Molyneux Swapped it between them,My memory is that became more interestred in road racing, and joined perhaps Wallacehill or maybe V.C.Stella.He went on to represent Scotland In Jamacia at the !1966Commonwealth Games.I gave him his first set of {second hand] tubs I came to Australia about that time so I don,t know the rest of the story If anyone from that era of lomond roads is still around I,d love to hear you I,m still cycling mainly Audax and weekend warrior stuff.By the way wrapping a wheel round someonws head does,nt sound like the Jimmy leitch I knew
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Braveheart Cycling Fund Chat Rooms © 2013 Braveheart Cycling Fund Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000