Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Steve McGinty
Speed Limits N/A

1156 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  18:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has there been any discussion of the course for the TT?

How incredible would the Trossachs be?

snoeasy
Crusing Past

425 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  20:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea and the same course for the RR
Go to Top of Page

Gordon Goldie
Speed Limits N/A

1161 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  20:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could see a case for the TT, but for RR then a smaller circuit is normally used for service, feeds, spectators, TV, organisers, pulling lapped riders etc etc etc. Manchester circuit was around 8 miles I think? Worlds RR circuit is usually quite small too I think? Auldhouse would be a good one?
Go to Top of Page

ian sharp
Speed Limits N/A

1483 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  21:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Commonwealth Games RR round the Trossachs circuit would be a fantastic crowd-puller,especially if closed-roads were authorised.
Might not suit Cav,or even oor Dave,but would do cycling,and more importantly,Scotland,a lot of good!
Does the TT need to be out-and-home,or can it be a circuit?
The world will be watching---please don't even suggest West Ferry!
Go to Top of Page

Steve McGinty
Speed Limits N/A

1156 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  22:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As GG says the RR will be on a shorter circuit, which IIRC is already being planned as a large scale city-centre "crit" to show off Glasgow's "iconic" buildings and venues.

The TT is usually on a circuit also - I've got vague memories of talk of it being in the Cathkin area where the mtb-ing will be(?) I guess shutting down Aberfoyle/Callendar etc for a day wouldn't be feasible...
Go to Top of Page

barky
Speed Merchant

762 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  07:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Road

Road Race and Time Trial events will hit the open roads of Glasgow, using specific road circuit courses.

Venue: Glasgow City Road and Time Trial Course [City wide]

http://www.glasgow2014.com/the_games/sports/cycling.aspx

www.vortexraceteam.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Rab W
Crusing Past

203 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  13:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep Barky, well spotted. I would imagine we'll see Glasgow Green used as the start/finish. I don't think it's an accident that skyride and PFS are based there. It would be great to see a circuit taking in some of the steep hills in the centre and a fast run in back down the Clyde. The TT course will take some planning though. Maybe a Worlds style mutiple laps? I think a technical delegete from BC/UCI will be brought in to give input in the next few years. A course similar to Melbourne is on the cards I would say.

I have to say that the Trosachs would be great. But I can't see a Glasgow Games having events held outside the city.

Rab
Go to Top of Page

gillan1969
Speed Merchant

703 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  13:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've a feeling that Scotland once again will shoot itself in the foot on this one

After the debacle of Edinburgh in '86 we'll get as crap a road race /tt circuit as can be imagined within the confines of the City. Already the mtb circuit is awful (having raced round it). At least the velodrome is indoors, it could be anywhere.

Where's the inspiration???? They want to get kids to take up this sport?????

spot the odd one out
stelvio, koppenberg, alpe d'huez, poggio, foret d'aranberg, western approach road

I'm not sure if the Councillors in Glasgow have worked out they are not London. Potential tourists arrive in Scotland and will want to do other things. Showcasing the wonderful countryside and attractions within cycling distance from Glasgow seems to be an opportunity lost to me.

Seems to me that they would do better to showcase the town via the marathon, it will get a more general audience than the RR. All cyclists will think is 'what a cr*p circuit'.

presumably they consult with someone with cycling knowledge before deciding the circuit? (he asked more in hope than in certainty)
Go to Top of Page

Steve McGinty
Speed Limits N/A

1156 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  18:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Rab W[/i]
[br]
I have to say that the Trosachs would be great. But I can't see a Glasgow Games having events held outside the city.
Rab

The shooting, diving and triathlon are being held outside the city.

Hopefully the RR won't be an '86 repeat. The M74 extension should be getting used by then!
Go to Top of Page

Gordon Goldie
Speed Limits N/A

1161 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  18:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My big fear is that somebody that knows bu66er all about racing will design the courses. Using the city for a "mega-crit" will be uber 5hit.
Go to Top of Page

snoeasy
Crusing Past

425 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  19:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK so does anyone in SC know who is deciding/decided on the course? 86 was a terrible course as was 1970 round Arthurs seat in Embra. There are lots of circuits near Glasgow but outside the city which could be used but I suspect that Mr Plod will have a lot of influence. Just who is involved and do they have Road Cycling as a passion?
Go to Top of Page

baron
Crusing Past

329 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  19:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldnt it be nice if they actually asked the people who organise races year in, year out to submit courses in the area. Im sure itll actually be in some obscure course never ridden before, so that some coucil employee's house can be on the telly
Go to Top of Page

Ivan
Speed Merchant

731 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  19:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's surely inconceivable that the organisers would not consult SC ?
Or is it not ?

Leve de Wielersport
Go to Top of Page

mezimov
Setting Off

94 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  20:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's Scotland's Commonwealth Games isn't it? Having just driven to Oban and back from Inverness on a 14 hour work day I have to say we live in an amazing country that we should be showcasing both to give good racing and because we can. Otherwise as Norman says, how can we expect anyone to be inspired by cycling as a sport?
Trossachs is so close to Glasgow you could ride there from the Games village as a warm up. Come on somebody who knows about these things, make it happen !
Go to Top of Page

mezimov
Setting Off

94 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  20:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
p.s. that was/is Mari's post...James doesn't have to do work trips to Oban!
Go to Top of Page

Grime

334 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  21:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The course will ultimately come down to what GCC are able to close off without affecting businesses and homes within the City too much. At one time they were talking of trying to get a circuit that took in some of the City Centre including the hills from the Clydeside up to the art school. If they get it right you could have a really good course I think, all within a small area giving lots of opportunities to see the races without moving too far - a bit like the MTB and Cyclo Cross events they have in Holland and Belgium that meander around within a small area.
They were also investigating limiting traffic within the M8/M73/M74 during the Games and trying to hold the road events (including cycling, running and walking) within this circle. That was 4 years ago and not being in Glasgow anymore I haven't heard anything since.
Go to Top of Page

bigjim
Crusing Past

360 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  13:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
regards 2014 road race course, i would like to think
someone would ask Alister Ogg of the Glasgow Centre
for his advice as organiser of numerous races.
Go to Top of Page

clune brae prime
Crusing Past

333 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  13:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Grime[/i]
[br]The course will ultimately come down to what GCC are able to close off without affecting businesses and homes within the City too much. At one time they were talking of trying to get a circuit that took in some of the City Centre including the hills from the Clydeside up to the art school. If they get it right you could have a really good course I think, all within a small area giving lots of opportunities to see the races without moving too far

Well said.

The ramps between broomielaw and the artschool would hurt the best of them after a few laps. Where would I take it from Renfrew Street?I would take it through the pretty roads in the west end, Kelvin Way and University Avenue and down to the Clydeside express way. I don't think Glasgow City Council would have the balls to close all those main roads at once though. They will take the easy option of having it loop around Glasgow Green, in and out of George Sqaure.

I thought the Delhi Road Race was interesting enough and it was an incredibly basic, flat route.

See you at Bridge of Weir
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

714 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  13:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oliphant for Gold in 2014

and Scottish Coach in 2018
Go to Top of Page

barky
Speed Merchant

762 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  15:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anybody notice the Great Scottish Run 2010 used the left hand lane of the Kingston Bridge going over the clyde, so probably expect them to use the same course as the marathon is run on, which more than likely includes that. I expect that was a test.
So there's you hill, the climb up onto the Kingston Bridge, with helicopter shots available up and down the river, not inspiring from a sporting point of view but probably the parts the people in charge are keen to show off.

www.vortexraceteam.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

harrisphoto
Speed Limits N/A

1455 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  15:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by barky[/i]
[br]Did anybody notice the Great Scottish Run 2010 used the left hand lane of the Kingston Bridge going over the clyde,

It uses that every year i think? Certainly last two years when I've run it

Martin Harris
www.discoveryjcc.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Jinty H
Speed Merchant

706 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  16:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take it up Gardner Street !!!

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA01262

Janette Hazlett
Ivy Cycling Club

Edited by - Jinty H on 28 Oct 2010 16:38:13
Go to Top of Page

frenkmcginty
Speed Limits N/A

1379 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  18:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your lovely picture of gardner street doesn't really do its steepness justice jinty h.. and your idea is sound..there's a circuit incorporating it of most lengths which has plenty of alternatives for traffic....how'n'ever the trossachs circuit should be promoted ..if they could get that closed for the day the rest of the world could see why your event is a real classic and boggle at the beauty on glasgow's doorstep...[ps was your maiden name jinty mcginty??....i think we might be related if it's so]...frenk h
Go to Top of Page

RobW
Crusing Past

395 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  12:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Jinty H[/i]
[br]Take it up Gardner Street !!!

http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA01262

Janette Hazlett
Ivy Cycling Club

I used to go down there on my skateboard..... mental. Wouldn't try it now.
Go to Top of Page

ian sharp
Speed Limits N/A

1483 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  22:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ach,Gardner St's no' that bad.
My dentist's surgery is at the bottom!
When I come out,I could cuff Pantani!
Novocaine is OK,believe me!
Go to Top of Page

Jinty H
Speed Merchant

706 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2010 :  23:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frenk - sorry no relation !!!

Trossachs course as comm games TT .. mmm not sure ... somebody would want a risk assessment done and then they might say it's too hard !!! too bendy !! too narrow !!! too pretty !! and it can only ever be the first Sunday in October - IT'S TRADITION !!!!!

and all those suits getting involved ... no thanks !!!

P.S. Watch out for Race 2 Rosneath !!! i'm up to no good !!

Ian - I think you have the same dentist as me !!!

Janette Hazlett
Ivy Cycling Club
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Braveheart Cycling Fund Chat Rooms © 2013 Braveheart Cycling Fund Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000